The Unnata® Aerial Yoga Difference
Elevate Your Asana!
Forget flips, tricks and gimmicks; Unnata® is the evolution of yogic tradition.
Unnata® offers authentic yoga with the support of a soft, aerial fabric hammock to explore, refine and advance traditional asana, both in the air and on the ground.
Why fight gravity? Unnata® works with gravity to relax and realign the body, center the mind and uplift the spirit.
You’ll get a ‘yoga high’ by deepening your practice: experience physical release, refined strength, energetic flow, and heightened awareness of breath, body and bandhas. Newcomers learn practical postural fundamentals while discovering how yoga enlightens your life.
Unnata®. Real Yoga. Elevated.
Unnata® was born of Michelle Dortignac’s 20+ years of yogic teaching, meditation practice, and movement and aerial arts performance. Michelle has trained hundreds of experienced and passionate certified yoga instructors to teach Unnata® Aerial Yoga. Now you can find Unnata® classes, teachers and studios throughout the world, and likely in a city near you!
What is Aerial Yoga?
Aerial Yoga is a fun and transformative new way to practice traditional yoga.
Using a soft, fabric aerial hammock suspended from the ceiling, you’ll explore new and traditional yoga asanas (yogic postures) with your body weight partially or fully supported. This allows you to expand flexibility, increase range of motion, build strength, lengthen the spine, and relax the nervous system. Never more than a few feet off the ground, you’ll let go into gravity, be held in the hammock, and awaken yogic bliss.
Aerial yoga is the natural evolution of hatha yoga (the physical style of yoga most common in the West). Master yoga teacher BKS Iyengar popularized the use of props to facilitate proper body alignment in asanas; and for decades, Iyengar-trained instructors have used “rope walls,” to help students deepen yoga poses and safely invert.
Since 2006, Michelle Dortignac, founder of Unnata® Aerial Yoga, has pioneered the use of the aerial hammock as a prop to explore and advance traditional asana practice. Unnata® is rooted in yogic principles, and taught by rigorously trained, certified yoga instructors.
Now you can find dozens of branded styles of aerial yoga popping up throughout the world. Some styles focus on fitness, others on circus arts and performance. In an Unnata® class, you’ll get fit and have fun flying; but more importantly, you’ll experience true yoga: the union of mind, body, breath and intention.
What makes Unnata® Aerial Yoga unique?
Unnata® is unlike any other aerial yoga experience. Why?
In an Unnata® class you can…
- Practice real yoga, elevated – not just tricks & gimmicks
- Learn from experienced and well trained teachers
- Enhance your understanding of traditional asana practice
- Rapidly realize advanced poses
- Relieve stress and find your center
- Be playful and challenge yourself!
Unnata® was born of Michelle Dortignac’s 20+ years of yogic teaching, meditation practice, and movement and aerial arts performance. It’s a comprehensive discipline, grounded in yogic tradition, that offers challenge and change for your whole being – body, mind and spirit.
Unnata® teachers are devoted, experienced yoga instructors who have completed thorough training to safely incorporate the hammock into their yoga classes. Each teacher has a unique background and style of yoga; but all Unnata® teachers understand the principles of yoga, and can safely guide you through a playful and transformative aerial yoga class!
In an Unnata® class, you’ll explore traditional asanas on the ground and in the air. With the support of the hammock, you can refine your regular practice, and explore advanced asanas that might not yet be accessible on the ground. Advanced asanas can take years to learn, and even more time to understand their benefits; Unnata® speeds up the process in a fun and safe manner. You can immediately discover fine balance, increase strength, deepen flexibility, and more easily invert. These skills extend to all physical activity, and result in more fluid movement through life.
Unnata® classes don’t just take you into yogic poses, they teach subtle distinctions about why and how these poses benefit you physically, mentally, energetically, emotionally and spiritually. Elevating your asana brings you into keen awareness of your center; it aligns the body, soothes the mind, deepens the breath, and heals the nervous system.
Plus, Unnata® is an opportunity to challenge yourself, be playful, and learn something new!
Unnata®. Real Yoga. Elevated.
Who is Unnata® Yoga For?
Unnata® Aerial Yoga is uniquely developed for all levels of experience.
No previous aerial, acrobatic, or Yoga experience is necessary.
Everyone in good health can benefit from Unnata®, including:
Experienced Yoga Practitioners
- Perceive details & distinctions in asanas that will enhance your traditional practice
- Explore deeper flexibility and range of motion, including more complete backbends
- Safely practice and refine challenging inversions in the middle of the room
- Gain fine muscular control and increased strength
- Develop awareness of the subtle energy body within asana practice
Beginning & Returning Yoga Students
- Establish proper body mechanics and postural alignment from day one
- Heighten your sense of balance and spatial awareness
- Heal minor injuries before returning to a traditional Yoga practice
- Experience unfamiliar asanas with the safety & support of the hammock
- Condition strength and flexibility while the hammock holds your weight
Yoga Teachers, Physical Educators, Movement Artists & Athletes
- Understand the therapeutic benefits of Unnata® Yoga
- Learn to work with principles of gravity, surrender and support
- Integrate greater fluidity, grace and flow in your movements
- Reinvigorate your existing practice with new knowledge and skills
Please be advised…
Unnata® is not recommended for individuals who have high blood pressure, cataracts, are pregnant, or anyone for whom hanging upside-down could cause medical complications.
Preparing For Class
For your own comfort, it is recommended you:
- Allow any food in your stomach to fully digest prior to attending class
- Are not overly hungry when attending class, so that you do not get “light-headed” when upside-down
- Wear clothing that covers your armpit area, backs of the knees, and entire midriff
- Wear deodorant
- Use a Yoga mat for the floor sections of the class
- Remove all jewelry/watches/hairclips that can get caught on the hammock
Ready to take a class?
Find an Unnata® class near you!
How is “Unnata” pronounced?
“Unnata” is the Sanskrit word for “elevated,” meaning both elevated in spirit and physically elevated.
The “U” sounds like the “u” in blue and rhymes with zoo, too.
The rest sounds like “not,” followed by “ahhh.” Put the emphasis on the second syllable; “ooo-NOT-ahh” — Unnata.